Sports Medicine at Seaview Orthopaedics
Sports Medicine is a branch of medicine that deals with physical fitness and the prevention & treatment of injuries related to exercise & sports. Our physicians recognize and appreciate that getting back into action, work and play is a priority for those who lead active lifestyles. Seaview Sports Medicine physicians provide both conservative and aggressive treatment approaches backed by special interest skills in orthopedics sports surgery, arthroscopic surgery, trauma, joint replacement and reconstruction, with a focus on knees, shoulders and elbows. Our patients range from sports-active grade and high school students to college, Olympic and professional athletes…. To exercise walkers/joggers, “weekend warriors,” “soccer moms,” and “backyard quarterbacks.”
Our Sports Care Specialists perform state of the art arthroscopic procedures for all types of sports injuries, including ACL reconstruction, Meniscus Repair, Knee & Shoulder Arthroscopy including allografts & autografts and Labral Repairs.
Orthopaedic Sports Medicine
Our non-surgical team treats a range of conditions including various sports injuries such as, but not limited to fractures, sprains, concussions, arthritis and other disorders of the joints as well as addressing performance, nutrition, rehabilitation and exercise. They are also experienced in musculoskeletal ultrasound guided injections and various innovative therapy methods such as platelet rich plasma (PRP), prolotherapy and stem cell therapy.
Team Physician/Sports Coverage
Seaview Sports Medicine is pleased to be the official team physicians for The Lakewood Blueclaws, Ocean County College, Manalapan high school, Freehold Boro High School, and several other local high schools, ringside physician for MMA and volunteer school physician Rutgers University.
Below is a list of some of the conditions our sports medicine team treats:
- Articular cartilage injuries
- Ligament injuries of the knee, elbow and shoulder
- Knee meniscus tears
- Labral tears of the hip and shoulder
- Runners knee
- Knee patellofemoral pain syndrome
- Knee tendonitis (jumper’s knee)
- Shoulder dislocations and instability
- Shoulder AC (acromioclavicular) joint separations
- Shoulder rotator cuff tears
- Muscle strains
- Tendonitis of all joints
- Tennis elbow
Concussion Testing & Management
- Concussion is a complex brain injury that alters the way your brain functions.
- Concussion can occur from a blow to the head/body, when the upper body is shaken violently, helmet to helmet contact or even another athlete.
- Most concussions do not involve loss of consciousness, which misleads people to feel they do not have a concussion and might pass it off as ‘A bump on the head’
- The severity of a concussion is not fully known until the symptoms resolve and brain function returns to normal. This injury needs time and rest to heal properly.
- All concussions are not created equally. Each person and injury is different. ALL injuries should be evaluated by trained professional and/or medical personnel.
Concussion symptoms may be immediate or delayed in onset by hours or sometimes even days after the injury. A few common symptoms:
- Balance problem
- Irritability or personality changes
- Sensitivity to noise & light
- Confusion or “in a fog”
- Sensitivity to noise
- Sleep disturbances
- Sensitivity to light
- Double/fuzzy vision
- Slowed reaction time
- Ringing in ears
- Feeling more emotional
- Temporary loss of consciousness
- Change in normal speech
Baseline Testing should be done on every athlete in most sports yearly. Every concussion is different; in order to know the severity you need a baseline. Baseline Testing helps us learn how your brain works before a concussion. We will have a better understanding of your Reaction Time, Memory Capacity, Speed of Mental Processing, and Functioning of the brain
At Seaview Orthopaedics, Dr. Vinay Chopra is a Certified Impact Consultant (CIC) through IMPACT. IMPACT is the number one software used in most high schools nationwide to establish baseline testing for athletes. Dr. Chopra utilizes in state of the art balance testing neurological machine. He also follows the most recent Zurich guidelines, based on the experts in concussion management.
Dr. Chopra stays current with the latest advancements in diagnosing & treatment of Concussions so you can have the peace of mind and assurance of a professional managing your care.
Dr. Chopra provides educational seminars to local teams or organizations.
To schedule an Appointment please call 732-660-6200, or submit your request for a speaker to email@example.com.
Certified Athletic Trainer
Seaview Orthopaedic & Medical Associates is an approved provider for the BOC. As a BOC provider we are responsible for providing continuing education (CE) programs to Athletic Trainers and complying with the Standards for BOC Approved Providers and the BOC Approved Provider Handbook. Seaview Orthopaedics is approved to offer Level l Category A continuing education (CE) activities to BOC Certified Athletic Trainers (ATs).
Developing Measurable Learning Objectives
Seaview Orthopaedics uses Bloom’s Taxonomy for classifying of learning objectives. It contains 6 levels of interaction, each building on the previous. By creating learning objectives with verbs that show measurement, we can match appropriate program assessments to demonstrate participant learning.
Participant Assessments are developed when topics are chosen. Our speakers provide an outline of the talk and objectives/assessments are created based on the goal of each talk. Assessments are given to each participant at the start of the program. Participants are instructed to complete the assessment in its entirety before they can receive their certificate of completion. Scoring is usually a verbal exercise and participants are never graded. Our speakers usually give participants a prompt and encourage them to give their opinions of how they would diagnosis/treat the injury.
At the conclusion of each presentation, the participant should be able to:
- Evaluation: Assess Theories; Compare ideas; Evaluate Outcome; Solve; Judge; Recommend; Rate
- Synthesis: Use old concepts to create new ideas; Design and Invention; Compose; Imagine; Infer; Modify; Predict; Combine
- Analysis: Identify and Analyze patterns; organize ideas; recognize trends
- Application: Use applying knowledge; use problem solving methods; manipulating; designing; experimenting
- Comprehension: Understanding; Translating; Summarizing; Demonstrating; Discussing
- Knowledge: Recall of information; Discovery; Observation; Listing; Locating; Naming
Following our seminars, the assessments will be collected and reviewed by the speakers. The forms will be compiled and participant questions and comments will be shared to the instructors. The response from the instructors will be reviewed and published on our website within 2-3 weeks following the presentation. Our in house team will also use feedback to help improve instructors teaching methods, as well as to determine quality and effectiveness of presentations. Any questions or barriers that would prevent participants from making changes in their practice will be discussed directly with the participant. General issues we think would have a positive effect for everyone will be shared via email.